Saturday, October 25, 2008

A strange night...

Last night I spent my time at Ryan's football game... not unlike any old Friday night. But, this night was strange because we were the visitors at Kingsburg, our Alma Mater. And... it was homecoming! Ewww!
But anyway, it was a tough game, and the Vikings got the win. A bummer for CVC. But as for us (my family, Ryan's family), it wasn't that hard cheering against our home town. I teased that CVC pays the bills, so that's where my loyalties are! Ha ha!
What I thought was pathetic on KHS's side was a big, bold poster that read "Crush the DUTCH". Now, for those of you who know about CVC, you know it IS a school that has a majority of students that come from Dutch families, who are mostly dairymen. BUT, the school is called Central Valley Christian, NOT Dutch Reformed School. Anyway, my problem with this is, what if CVC made a sign referring to KHS's majority of students? "Beat the Mexicans". Would that have been appropriate? Obviously not! I think the admin. did a poor job of proofing the posters this week and should not have allowed that soooo not P.C. poster to be put up. I am sure it was offensive to both the Dutch and non-Dutch (yes there are some) families at CVC. Am I wrong?

2 comments:

Tamara B said...

Interesting... our family is a mixture of both of those backgrounds. When I read it I assumed that the CVC mascot was a dutchman, similar to Central College here in Iowa with dutch heritage.

Someone should make it know to the admin with a friendly little note...

Ashley said...

No, and I think you need to bring it up to KHS. I believe Doug Davis is in charge of approving the posters or can point you in the right direction of who is. In fact, I bet the kids had no idea the school was "Dutch." My hunch is that an adult put the idea in their head.